Parenting can be a major challenge to navigate; just when you think you’ve got it, the kids change course and suddenly, you need a new tactic. However, short-term tactic changes will not help you in the long term. You need a long game parenting plan! If you’ve ever had a parenting conundrum or needed some help navigating this windy road that is your child's journey, you’ve come to the right place. We found a parenting GPS! Today we're joined by parenting expert Katie Garzón. She's created Guided Parenting Support, or “GPS”, for parents. Katie explains that the key to good parenting is not about not making mistakes, but more about how you recover from them. She also talks about the importance of ensuring that your kids have at least one really strong relationship with a mature adult caregiver, and how to go about protecting that relationship in challenging situations. From sleep time to playtime, to how to get your kids to do those household chores, and even how to recover from parenting fails, Katie Garzón is here to share her wisdom with us. Tune in today to hear it all!
Key Points From This Episode:
- An introduction to Katie Garzón and Guided Parenting Support.
- The many different stages of parenting.
- One of Allison’s mom fails, and a reminder that we all screw up.
- The role of parents: to raise children who become adults who are prepared to be successful in an unknown future.
- Why the key to good parenting is not about not making mistakes but more about how you recover from them.
- The number one protective factor for your kids as they get older: having at least one really strong relationship with a mature adult caregiver.
- How to protect your relationship with your children in difficult situations.
- Why you should deal with what is going on emotionally in the moment and deal with the consequences later, not the other way around.
- How to restore your relationship with your child when you have reacted badly as a parent.
- The importance of sleep in the long game of parenting.
- Sleep deprivation and anxiety; what to do if your children are struggling with this.
- How to involve your kids in the structuring of a bedtime routine.
- Why unstructured play is so vital to your child’s development.
- How to motivate kids to play.
- The benefits of imaginary play.
- What to do if you are worried about your child’s psychological wellbeing: lead with curiosity.
- How to get your kids to help out more with chores.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Guided Parenting Support
Guided Parenting Support on Instagram
Guided Parenting Support on Facebook
Allison Tannis on LinkedIn
Allison Tannis on Instagram
Natural Health Influencer on Instagram
Natural Health Influencer Facebook Group
Vista Magazine on Instagram